Special districts provide a wide range of government services, with each special district facing its own unique circumstances based on the community, its principal act, and increased oversight from the state and federal governments. Our attorneys stay current on the laws affecting special districts and bring decades of experience to each project and client.
Colantuono, Highsmith & Whatley, PC has a deep and experienced team of public lawyers who have advised a wide range of special districts as general counsel and special counsel in transactional and litigation work for over 38 years.
Depth of experience
Michael G. Colantuono, Terri Highsmith, Holly Whatley, Scott Howard, David J. Ruderman, and Gary B. Bell lead our special district practice and have represented the following types of special districts in litigation, elections, rate-making, LAFCO, and other advisory topics in recent years:
- Business Improvement District Operating Non-Profit Corporations
- Community Services Districts providing a wide range of services
- County Library JPAs
- County Law Libraries
- Fire Protection Districts
- First Five Commissions
- Flood Control & Water Conservation Districts
- Healthcare and Hospital Districts
- Geologic Hazard Abatement Districts
- Joint Powers Authorities
- Port Districts
- Resource Conservation Districts
- Sanitation Districts & Other Wastewater Agencies
- School Districts
- Solid Waste Management Authorities
- Tourism Marketing District Corporations
- Transportation Districts
- Water Districts (retail, water conservation, irrigation, State Water Project contractors, groundwater management agencies, etc.)
- Workforce Investment Boards
Breadth of experience
The firm currently serves as general counsel to the Downieville, Garden Valley, Ophir Hill, Rough & Ready, North San Juan, Higgins, and Penn Valley Fire Districts; the Tahoe Forest Hospital District; the Los Osos Community Facilities District; the Pine Grove Community Services District; the Orangeline Development Authority; the Oak Tree Park & Recreation District; the SELACO Workforce Investment and Policy Boards; and the Calaveras, Yuba and San Diego County LAFCOs; and First Five Yuba.
The Firm has the experience and talent to represent special districts of all types and sizes in discrete and complex legal matters.
A representative listing of present and recent clients is here.